Google+

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Random - Big (overdue) update

This will be short as I've got more posts coming this week but wanted to do a post with dot points that I'll expand afterwards.

First on the list will be a shout out to Pinnacle Games! It is their 10th birthday! Happy Birthday!!

Now, onto the aforementioned dot list.

BOOKS
Since I last posted in September, I have read so far 4 books and working on Catching Fire at present.
  • Discworld: Guards! Guards!
  • Discworld: Men at Arms
    • Discworld is something I have been putting off for SO long and as I live with a Pratchett Fanatic, I had to start eventually. While I was in a down mood (pre-operation) I needed a pick me up. Hence, will be reading the Watch storyline before I read other story arcs within Discworld,
  • Starcraft: Heaven's Devils
    • I had an itch and got the expansion to Starcraft 2 and hence decided to try reading a few of the recommended books. This was actually a pretty good novel by William C. Dietz and it even incorporated a reasoning to how so many marines get spawned in the game into the book :D
  • The Hunger Games (Book #1)
    • I wanted to know what was all the go with the trilogy and started reading this one. About 1/3 into it, it was growing on me and when I finished it, I immediately moved into the 2nd book. I really like them so far. I've not seen the movies, I'll watch them after I've read the books.
TABLETOP GAMING

New Purchases

  • Agents Card Game (Kickstarter)
    • This arrived yesterday but not played it yet. Table space taken up by Eldritch Horror at present.
  • Dungeon Roll
  • Eldritch Horror
  • Jenga
  • Mario Yahtzee (Ours until step-son moves out of home)
  • Scrabble
  • Sentinels of the Multiverse Expansions (Infernal Relics, Rook City and all the mini expansions)
  • Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures
    • So yeah, this has grown. I have one of every model and a few I have two or more depending on the model. All I am missing is Y-Wings, Lambda Shuttle & TIE Bomber. I'll post something on these with a pic of them all soon.
I'll work out more indepth comment on Eldritch Horror there but will say this at the least: Back in August, I got a private message on BoardGameGeek that almost made me faint. It was one of those "Is this for real?!" where I was asked by a Fantasy Flight Games staff member if I was willing to sign an NDA to be a playtester for them. 

For us, that was the beginning of testing Eldritch Horror!

TV SERIES
On the TV front, we've been keeping up with certain TV series that we normally don't watch till they come out on DVD or at least when we can watch all the episodes without waiting for them to be aired.
  • Castle (Season 6)
  • Marvel: Agents of Shield
  • My Little Pony Friendship is Magic (Season 4)
  • NCIS (Season 11)
  • NCIS LA (Season 5)
VIDEO GAMING
Now, the penultimate topic. The Eldritch Horror playtesting put a slight pause on our gaming around that time because we were playing a game every night or two for several weeks. 

Our main love has been the MMO Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn and nothing came into that bubble for at least three months when we needed a breather before the patch comes out on the 17th December.

Between playing that or during our breather, both my wife and I have been hooked on playing Might and Magic Clash of Heroes on the Xbox 360 as we never got around to playing it (her) or finishing it (me). That was a LOT of fun and took up a lot of our time and I have almost finished (one campaign to go) while Tmara has finished it. We both just need to work out our last achievements in multiplayer for that one and we're done.

I've also been playing Starcraft 2 since I finally got Heart of the Swam. I loved that story actually and looking forward to the culmination. Until then, I'll be trying multiplayer at some point and filling in the blanks with the novels.

Oh yes, and as I was doing Starcraft 2, I got my Hearthstone invite and played that constant for a week or two, almost religiously, till I took a break. I really like it. I have played a few card games in RL as well as some digitally (Magic the Gathering) and I have to admit: Hearthstone is simple and that is what has drawn me in. I'm looking forward to where it will go once it goes live.

Oh and that horrible Steam Sale happened and it wasn't even the Xmas sale.  got a few pieces that I didn't expect. I had recently decided to sell my Assassin's Creed games from the Xbox 360 to the step-son as I'd be getting them all on PC instead (using controller). The credit I had in Steam disappeared before I got any of those..

In no particular order...
  • Dishonored Game of the Year
    • Been waiting to get this in a LONG time and been holding off on playing it too much due to...
  • Tomb Raider (2013)
    • Finished it. I enjoyed it. I liked the story (Yay for Rhianna Pratchett) of a female trying to survive and working out her origin story. At present, I am 74% complete and will work on those collectibles over time as the game is so peaceful now that the story is finished.
  • Tomb Raider Collection
    • I got every Tomb Raider game while it was on sale (~$1.50 per game) except for TR1 as I got TR: Anniversary instead. I don't know if I'll go back and play the originals but they are there. I never got around to playing them till Last Revelations and even then, didn't finish it at the time. If anything, I will play the Legend/Anniversary/Underworld trilogy (used to have Underworld on 360).
  • Spelunky
  • Risen 2: Dark Waters
  • 30 Half Minute Hero
Not to mention too that Fantasy Flight Games have brought out Elder Signs: Omens onto Steam now and we loved it on the phone but on a TV would be a great addition for us. We normally would love the board/card game of it but the digital version for us actually does play out really well for us to do that instead.

That is it for now, longer that I thought (when is it not?!) and I will work on at least one more post this coming weekend, a review for Eldritch Horror.